Have you been thinking about doing your own Security System, but not sure if it’s a good idea or not, or maybe where to go for help? We can help. It’s a lot easier than you think. We’ll help you every step of the way. And…it’s totally worth it.
Before I get too far, make sure you check out the resources at the bottom of the page. We’ve listed our top Home Security posts so you can quickly find answers to the most common questions we receive.
DIY Home Security
Back to DIYing your Security System. First off, despite what you may have heard or seen, we prefer it when customers install their own Security System. One of the main reasons that people don’t use their Security System is because they are unsure of how it works. They’re afraid if they hit the wrong button, and the alarm goes off, that it’s going to call the police and they won’t know how to shut it off.
Honestly, alarm systems are really simple anymore, but many people find them intimidating. What we’ve found is that when you install your own Security System, you’re much more confident in how to use it. So you use it much more consistently. Most people tell us once they’ve grown accustomed to using it, they can’t imagine life without one.
We Can Help
Now lets be clear about what we mean when we say install your own security system. We’re going to take all the hard scary work out of it for you. We’ll preprogram the system, and all the security sensors. So all you have to do is place the security sensors and set your passcodes. Most the sensors stick on with double sided tape. A few of the sensors require two screws to mount to the wall or ceiling. It’s super easy to do, we’ll be here every step of the way if you need the extra help.
There’s a couple of steps so we can help you get started.
- If you’re unsure of the best way to secure your home, check out our post on the Perfect Security System.
- Head over to our DIY Security page, and fill out the form. It will show us how many of each sensor type and keypad you need. If you aren’t sure, see our quick guide on Security Sensor Selection.
- Once you submit the form we’ll send you an estimate of all the equipment you need, the total price, and estimated time to install it, so you can plan it all out.
- Once you approve the System design, and we receive payment, we’ll pre program the system for you and send it to your house ready to go.
- You install the system. Don’t worry, we won’t leave you hanging now that you have the system, we want to make sure the install goes well for you. Included in your package will be an easy to follow step-by-step guide to install the system. We’ll also include links to online video tutorials and other references you might need. And of course, you can always contact our support line or email for help. Although we really doubt you’ll need to do that.
- Once you have the system installed and ready to go, you call us and we activate the monitoring for you. It takes about 5 minutes.
- Make sure you follow the directions in your Package when you receive it, to get your first month of Monitoring free!
If you’re ready to go, head over to our DIY Security Page, and fill out the Getting Started form. If you have questions or want more information on DIY Security, leave us a comment or email us with questions ‘button’ – submission form
Below are some posts we’ve written to answer the most common questions we receive about Home Security Systems. If you’re looking to do more research, these should get you off to a great start.
- How Does Security Monitoring Works?
- Monitoring Service or Self Monitoring?
- Designing the Perfect Home Security System
- Buying a Home Security System, Contract or no Contract?
- Prewiring for Home Security
- Wireless VS Hardwired Home Security Systems
- Quick Guide – Selecting the right Security Sensor
- Our 3 Favorite Security Systems
Have a question? Leave me a comment below.
Matt is the co-founder of Tym LLC. His smart home and audio/visual designs have won four “Home of the Year Awards” from Electronic House & CE Pro magazine, and three awards from the Consumer Technology Association, including "Home Theater of the Year", and "Custom Smart Home of the Year".
Matt is Golden State fan.
Catch Matt's how-to videos on YouTube