What can a smart home do for you? You may have heard people talk about smart homes, but none of your friends has one yet, so you haven’t really seen them firsthand. Maybe you should be the pioneer in your group! A smart home is smart in so many ways ― it’s almost mind-boggling, really. And different homeowners are in the market for different features. Let us break it down for you room by room. Some rooms, in fact, have much more smart technology potential than others. This week we’re going to talk about kitchens, and in upcoming weeks we’ll talk about living rooms, bedrooms and bathrooms.
Making Kitchens Smarter
Kitchens may be potentially the smartest ones, because they have the most electronics and appliances in them. Smart kitchens are smart in many ways.
- Lighting: You usually want bright light in your kitchen, so you can see what you’re cooking (or cleaning). But what about when you have a party or a romantic dinner?
- No one wants operating-room lighting for these occasions. Make your kitchen bright and light or calm and soothing, depending on the occasion.
- Sound: You can’t cook without music, can you? Stream your favorite Spotify list through speakers right over your head.
- If anyone else doesn’t want to hear Elvis, that’s OK, they don’t have to listen. You can wire your home for individual zones so others can stream their own music in their own rooms.
- If you like to watch TV while you’re chopping broccoli, you can stream your chosen programming into your kitchen as well.
- Climate: What’s that they say? If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen? You don’t really have that option though, do you, when your family is hungry and waiting for dinner? You could open a window, but that would waste energy.
If your kitchen was smart, you could make it cooler just for you. With a simple finger swipe, you could adjust the temperature in the kitchen without eliciting complaints from the rest of the house.
Appliances Can Be Smart, Too!
You can also find a plethora of smart appliances on the market today. Caveat emptor, however ― many of these products are in their infancies and are basically untested. Products that text you when you’re out of milk, cook your food for you when you’re not home or wash the dishes AND put them away might be too good to be true. If you are interested in making your kitchen ― and your whole home ― smart, contact the experts at TYM Smart Homes & Home Theaters.